Earlier this week, I got nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award from Maggie over at NorthenExpenditure, so first of all thank you Maggie!
If you don’t know her blog yet, she gives us a perspective on early retirement for a family living in Alaska that has the privilege of fishing their own salmon. How cool is that? Maggie has recently written some interesting pieces on how to best limit our regrets from a business or personal perspective, this is definitely something everyone should strive for.
The Sunshine Q&A’s
Now over to the NorthernExpenditure’s questions to me:
- What’s your best productivity hack? Or do you struggle with productivity?
Ha, good question!
At work, I receive a ton of emails every day and it is sometimes difficult to remain on top of it. I mostly rely on the productivity method described in the book “Getting Things Done” by David Allen. It’s a very simple system to help address all emails (or actions) that come to you:
- If it is not actionable : Archive it
- If it is actionable
- And can be done in less than 2 minutes : Do it now
- And it will longer than 2 minutes : Schedule some time to look into it
- And I’m not the best person to do it : Delegate it
I also set myself a goal to never finish the week with more than 1 page of emails left unattended in my Outlook. This forces me to apply the sorting method throughout the week. It’s tough at first, but in reality there’s a ton of stuff that I can eliminate or delegate.
2. What’s your go-to meal for dinner on a busy day (either something you pick up or a meal you can make quickly)?
When my wife and I don’t feel like cooking, we usually make something quick like a Greek Salad, but Texas style. It’s not that it’s huge, but we add our own little touch. In addition to the traditional green peppers, onion, cheese, tomatoes we add our favorite ‘ingredient’: guacamole!
Our local store makes fresh guacamole every day so this is always an option.
3. Name one thing in the world you would like to see but haven’t yet.
Teleportation, seriously. Is Elon Musk working on this? Just imagine how awesome everything would become if transportation was instantaneous?
- You could satisfy all your shopping needs with Amazon’s new ‘Same Minute’ delivery,
- You could literally have days that are longer than 24h, hopping on and off timezones,
- You could leave your office and have lunch in Tokyo instead of the Deli across the street.
Until someone puts this together, I’d really like to take a few days off and go on a road-trip from San Francisco to San Diego on the Pacific Cost Highway. I’ve never done it but I’ve had great feedback from my friends who did.
4. What’s the most interesting thing that has happened to you in the past year?
I got married three months ago!
In May, we got married by the beach in Mexico. We held the celebration outside, having dinner overlooking the beach, the weather was fantastic and since all our friends and family made the trip, it was truly amazing!
5. If you’ve been to Alaska, what was your experience like? If you haven’t, what do you think Alaska is like?
I have never been to Alaska but I have some ideas of what it is like. It is a huge place, with lots of oil, lots of salmon and a lot of snow in the winter.
This can’t be too far off, can it? 🙂
EvenStevenMoney : EvenSteven started off with a lot of debt and works to repay all of it and become EvenSteven, reach Financial Independence and retire early.
AmberTreeLeaves : The journey of a Belgian father to Financial Independence. It’s interesting to see how folks in the community outside of the US/Canada are doing it.
WellRoundedInvestor : Vivianne is on her quest to reach Financial Independence by the age of 35, which is about only a 1 year away for her now.
My questions to them:
- What is your best productivity -or- creativity hack ? Pick one!
- What is the coolest place you’ve ever been to?
- Describe one of your long term goals (10+ years ahead)
- What book, blog or podcast have you enjoyed recently?
- What side hustle are you already or plan to be involved in to make more money?
- Thank the person who nominated you
- Answer the questions from the person who has nominated you
- Nominate some other bloggers for this award
- Write the same amount of questions for the bloggers you have nominated
- Notify the bloggers you have nominated
Looking forward to reading your answers!